Following the destruction of the “old” Atlantic Hotel in Beaufort due to the Hurricane of 1879, an investment group was quickly formed – known as the Morehead City Hotel Company.
A subsidiary of the Atlantic and North Carolina Railroad, the new enterprise was dedicated to building a “new and improved” Atlantic Hotel…but relocated to Morehead City, which was deemed “a safer place” than Beaufort – less likely to be struck by a major storm in the future.
Another factor: The railroad tracks ended in Morehead City. Travelers going on to Beaufort had to ferry across the Newport River. Sometimes, weather complicated things.
Why not eliminate “the complication” by building a new hotel adjacent to the railroad line? Then, as now, the railroad ran down the center of Morehead City.
Passengers could step off the train right onto a covered platform and enter the hotel. How convenient.
The new hotel, constructed in the “exuberant Victorian” style of architecture, opened on June 21, 1880. It immediately became “coastal North Carolina’s premier resort destination.”
The three-story wooden structure faced Arendell Street, between 3rd and 4th streets.
It was written: “Every
door, window and piazza of the huge hotel (233 rooms) opens to the water; from
the front or railroad side can be seen the pretty shore opposite where the
village of Beaufort makes a pleasing picture, with its old-time houses and church
spires….”
Featuring modern conveniences such as gas lighting and running water, the hotel included its own barber shop, telegraph office, lounge, billiard room and “ten pin” alley. The facility offered expansive covered porches along the front, and boardwalks at the back along Bogue Sound.
The ballroom and main dining room seated 300. It had a high-vaulted glass roof and large windows opening to the water. From a second-floor balcony called the “Buzzard’s Roost,” older hotel guests could observe activity below. Dancing would be followed by midnight suppers and moonlit sails on Bogue Sound.
Excursion boats took
guests to view the Cape Lookout Lighthouse and to see the wild horses at
Shackleford Banks. Visitors also went to the seashore for a “surf-bath.”
Many guests made long
visits; some stayed for the entire summer season (typically June through
October).
In 1884, Richard Beverly Raney (shown below) of Raleigh signed an eight-year lease to manage the Atlantic Hotel. He was the proprietor of the Yarborough House, a popular Raleigh hotel. Raney marketed Morehead City and the Atlantic Hotel as the “Summer Capital of North Carolina.”
The heyday of the Atlantic
Hotel lasted into the 20th century, but Morehead City’s tourism industry dried
up during the World War I years and afterward because of the Spanish flu
pandemic of 1918. (More than 500 million people – about a third of the world’s
population at the time – became infected by the virus through April 1920.)
It wasn’t until 1921 that the “old crowd” began to come back to the hotel for summer vacations, but a “return to normalcy” was thwarted by the arrival of hard economic times during the Great Depression.
Tragically, on April 15, 1933, fishermen noticed smoke coming from the resort.
Fire departments from five other communities responded to help the Morehead City firefighters. Trucks came from Newport, New Bern, Kinston, Washington and Greenville.
The hotel’s heart pine construction made it vulnerable to the flame and in little more than an hour, the building was reduced to ruins.
The hotel had not yet opened for the summer season and was unoccupied.
The hotel was never rebuilt. Many of the regular hotel guests began to build their own family cottages along the shore, and the tourism landscape began to change once more.















































