Wednesday, December 25, 2019

St. Nick visits Harkers Island in the ‘loon light’


Many people wrote poetry for The Mailboat from 1990-12, including Jerry Barton of Harkers Island. He was best known as an electronics manufacturer who specialized in fish scopes, sextants and other “electronic gadgetry.”

But Jerry Barton also had a way with words. Here’s his “only slightly altered” version of this famous Christmas poem that is preserved in the archives at the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center in Harkers Island.

(Dagnabbit. Christmas Eve 2019 came and went before I could get it posted.…but ‘tis better late than never…and perhaps this prolongs the glow of Christmas for you and your family….)

Twas the night a’fore Christmas and bright shone the moon,
The only thing stirring was a pot of stewed loon.

The windows were open to air out the place,
As for lurking Game Wardens, there was nary a trace.

The roar of an outboard fell on my ear,
To get caught with a loon quite filled me with fear.

I looked out the window, what frightened me more
Were two running lights headin’ right for my shore.

“Youngerns,” said I, “we’re in a heck of a scrape,”
The best thing for me is to plan my escape.

Who comes to my doorstep from out of the sea?
With my pot full of loon, I am all set to flee.

The engine choked off; there was a yell and a thump,
It was jolly old Santa a’ground on a lump.

He pulled on his waders and stepped off his boat,
Next thing he knew, the water’s up to his throat.

He muttered and grumbled, and I swear that he swore,
As he staggered and stumbled out onto the shore.

His sack full of goodies and gifts for our fun
Was loaded with water and weighed near a ton.

He came toward my cottage to leave off the presents
And trod on a nest with two sleeping pheasants.

They flew from their nest with a thunder of wings,
He fell on his rump and broke half of his things.

He got to his feet and dragging his sack,
He limped to the landing, not looking back.

He sputtered and fussed on the way to his skiff,
He hardly could board it ’cause he was so stiff.

He cranked on his engine till blue in the face.
When it got started, off he did race.

The last thing a heard as he hove out of sight,
“Hain’t I bin punished and mommicked this night!”

I wish he had stayed and not left so soon,
For I’d a fix him some dodgers and a mess-a stewed loon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not so sweet in Sweetwater

This article is reprinted in an abridged form...from the website of the Bullock Texas State Historic Museum in Austin, Texas. In 1942, a w...