Monday, June 28, 2021

Bake yourself a ‘Sock It To Me’ cake

One of life’s great little pleasures is a big slice of “Sock It To Me” cake, a Southern delicacy. 



Jocelyn Delk Adams got the original Bundt cake recipe from her grandmother, Maggie Mae Small of Winona, Miss. Affectionately known as “Big Mama,” Maggie Mae called her precious little Joceyln “Grandbaby Cakes,” as the story goes. 

About 5,000 people live in Winona, located off Interstate 55 near “middle Mississippi.” The town is about midway between Memphis, Tenn., and Jackson, Miss. Traveling south, if you get to Possumneck, you’ve gone a tad too far. 

“Big Mama always baked a gorgeous centerpiece cake – no matter the occasion,” Adams said. She used Winona tree-picked fruit, eggs from Winona farm-raised chicken eggs and fresh-churned butter, thanks to Big Mama’s cow, Betsy.” 

“Watching Big Mama make these recipes – and learning how to make them myself – taught me so many lessons about baking and life,” Adams said. 


“I learned forgiveness, because things don’t always turn out perfectly. I picked up patience, which is especially necessary when baking cakes. I also learned a lot from Big Mama’s baking intuition. Her instincts were always spot on. She never required a timer; just a whiff of a cake’s fragrance in the air was enough for her to know it was ready.” 

Adams, who lives in Chicago, now uses “Grandbaby Cakes” as her brand for kitchen creations and has written a cookbook with that title. 

“I didn’t realize I had the ‘baking gene,’ as my family calls it, until my 20s. Now that I am in my 30s, I can’t stop baking! In my kitchen, I sing, I dance and I eat my way through so that each moment of the day is truly a moment for myself.”

 


“This Southern Sock It To Me cake recipe pairs a moist and buttery cake texture with a cinnamon-brown sugar-pecan swirl that is to die for! The vanilla glaze brings it all together perfectly. If you love buttery flavorful cakes, you will love this one even more. Simple, decadent and downright irresistible!” 

“This retro cake was very popular in the 1970s, especially in the South, because of its funky name,” Adams said. 

“Housewives everywhere loved this cake because it was a simple recipe, convenient and delicious. It’s sweet, nutty, light and full of spice. Absolutely perfect.” 

Start with a golden, buttery yellow cake mix. You will also need sour cream, vegetable oil, white sugar, eggs, a little water, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Use milk and confectioners’ sugar for the glaze. 

Sock it to the calories and fat and boost the protein by using yogurt in place of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

1943 college football season was one for the record book

Notre Dame quarterback Angelo Bertelli earned his key to enter college football’s fictional “Heisman House” as the nation’s top player in 1...